Zamaletdinov Renat Irekovich, Candidate of biological sciences, associate professor, sub-department of environmental engineering and water resources management, Kazan Federal University (18 Kremlevskaya street, Kazan, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Nazarov Nail' Gosmanovich, Assistant, sub-department of environmental engineering and water resources management, Kazan Federal University (18 Kremlevskaya street, Kazan, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Svinin Anton Olegovich, Candidate of biological sciences, senior lecturer, sub-department of biochemistry, cell biology and microbiology, Mari State University (1 Lenin square, Yoshkar-Ola, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Drobot Galina Pavlovna, Candidate of biological sciences, associate professor, head of the sub-department of biochemistry, cell biology and microbiology, Mari State University (1 Lenin square, Yoshkar-Ola, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sal'nikova Ekaterina Yur'evna, Master’s degree student, Kazan Federal University (18 Kremlevskaya street, Kazan, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Background. Amphibians are a convenient model test system for bioindication research and environmental monitoring; because of they are live on the border of two environments, characterized by relatively weak migration ability, high numerosity and ecological plasticity, allowing them to inhabit natural and urbanized habitats.
Materials and methods. The individuals of the pool frog Pelophylax lessonae were caught in July, 2018 from three localities: the secondary reservoir near Park Pobedy of the city of Kazan, the M. Glubokoe karstic lake, and the Krugloe lake, representing control habitat (nature reserve). The study of biochemical parameters included the analysis of glucose, lactate, total protein and hemoglobin in the blood. Two hematological traits were studied: the count of erythrocytes and leukocytes.
Results. The biochemical blood parameters of the pool frog, Pelophylax lessonae, inhabited populations from two biotopes of the city of Kazan and one control locality were studied. The content of glucose, lactate, total protein, hemoglobin in peripheral blood was determined. The number of erythrocytes and leukocytes per liter was counted. A lower content of glucose, total protein and elevated levels of lactate were found in pool frogs from the population in the city center (Park Pobedy) compared to control areas and the “green zone” of the city. Low hemoglobin levels are observed in frogs from urban areas.
Conclusions. The revealed state of hypoglycemia and decreased level of total protein, increased lactate level in blood of P. lessonae individuals from population in Park Pobedy waterbodies, decreased hemoglobin level and an increase in the number of erythrocytes may indicate the conditions of hypoxia caused by high levels of urban pollution and eutrophication of water bodies. Apparently, various adaptive reactions are observed in anthropogenically disturbed habitats, consisting in increased number of red blood cells, decreased hemoglobin level and high level of metabolic processes.
1. Shvarts S. S., Smirnov V. S., Dobrinskiy L. N. Metod morfofiziologicheskikh indikatorov v ekologii nazemnykh pozvonochnykh [The method of morphophysiological indicators in the ecology of terrestrial vertebrates]. Sverdlovsk, 1968, 386 p. (Tr. AN SSSR. Ural. fil. In-t ekologii rasteniy i zhivotnykh. Vyp. 58). [In Russian]
2. Vershinin V. L. Zoologicheskiy zhurnal [Zoological journal]. 2004, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1367–1374. [In Russian]
3. Zhukova T. I. Ekologiya [Ecology]. 1987, no. 2, pp. 54–59. [In Russian]
4. Romanova E. B., Egorkina M. N. Ekologiya [Ecology]. 2006, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 188–192. [In Russian]
5. Zamaletdinov R. I. Ekologiya zemnovodnykh v usloviyakh bol'shogo goroda (na primere g. Kazani): avtoref. dis. kand. biol. nauk [Ecology of amphibians in a big city (on example of Kazan): author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate
of biological sciences]. Kazan, 2003, 24 p. [In Russian]
6. Nikolaev V. Yu. Immunogematologicheskie kharakteristiki amfibiy i reptiliy verkhnego i srednego Povolzh'ya v autekologicheskom aspekte: avtoref. dis. kand. biol. nauk [Immuno-hematological characteristics of amphibians and reptiles of the upper and middle Volga region in the auteological aspect: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences]. Nizhniy Novgorod, 2016, 23 p. [In Russian]
7. Baraquet M., Grenat P. R., Salas N. E., Martino A. L. Acta Herpetologica. 2013, no. 8 (2), pp. 93–97.
8. Davis A. K., Maney D. L., Maers J. C. Functional Ecology. 2008, vol. 22, pp. 760–772.
9. Zhelev Zh. M., Popgeorgiev G. S., Mehterov N. H. Acta zool. bulg. 2015, vol. 67 (2), pp. 271–282.
10. Alekin O. A. Osnovy gidrokhimii [Basics of hydrochemistry]. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1970, 444 p. [In Russian]
11. Romanenko V. D., Oksiyuk O. P., Zhukinskiy V. N., Stol'berg F. V., Lavrik V. I. Ekologicheskaya otsenka vozdeystviya gidrotekhnicheskogo stroitel'stva na vodnye ob"ekty [Environmental assessment of the impact of hydrotechnical construction on water issues]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1990, 255 p. [In Russian]
12. Vershinin V. L. Ekologicheskie osobennosti populyatsiy amfibiy urbanizirovannykh territoriy: avtoref. dis. d-ra biol. nauk [Ecological peculiarities of amphibian populations in urban areas: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of biological sciences]. Ekaterinburg, 1997, 47 p. [In Russian]